Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Best Uncomplicated Tuna Casserole You'll Ever Eat

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 box of Kraft Deluxe Four Cheese Macaroni & Cheese OR 1 box of Velveeta Shells & Cheese
* 1 12oz can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
* 1 6.4oz pouch of StarKist Chunk Light Tuna in Water
* 1 8.5oz Le Sueur Very Young Small Sweet Peas
* 1 tablespoon margarine
* 1/2 cup of 2% milk


Okay... so technically this isn't a "casserole".  It's all made in a pot, but it is DELICIOUS!  I'd follow my recipe the first time and then change it up to your taste the next time.  With the exception of the peas, since there's a lot of people that do not like peas.  Or you can skip the peas and tuna and just have a wonderfully creamy mac & cheese.

I love the recipe with the shells best, but I'll take it either way.  And a little secret... I have found a value brand at a smaller grocery store that I like even more, BUT there are so many not-so-great value brands out there, I'd proceed with caution if that's the route you choose.

1) Cook the macaroni or shells until tender in a medium pot.  Drain the water using a colander and leave the noodles in it.  Turn off the burner.

2) While the pot is still warm, pour in the cream of mushroom soup, the packet of cheese from the macaroni box, and the margarine.  Stir until you have a luscious creamy cheese mixture.

3) Mix the noodles back into the cheese mixture and add the milk.

4) Add the tuna and peas.  Voila, you're done!

As wonderful as this recipe is, it does not keep well.  Trust me.  You have maybe a three hour window to eat it before it begins tasting kinda stale.  When I was single I would cut the recipe in half by cooking only half the noodles and folding the box over.  I'd add the other ingredients, using only half of everything, and putting the remaining soup, cheese, tuna, and peas into a small plastic container.  Refrigerate the leftover ingredients to use another day.  However, those remaining ingredients will only taste good for about three days, so... anyway.

I know you'll love this recipe, so ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment